Celebrating Engr. John Ogbeche: A Brother, a Friend, a Maritime Professional and the Man Who Gave Me a Gift Worth the World
Celebrating Engr. John Ogbeche: A Brother, a Friend, a Maritime Professional and the Man Who Gave Me a Gift Worth the World
Some friendships begin in the classroom. Some begin in the workplace. Others begin almost casually, without any indication of just how deeply they will eventually shape our lives.My relationship with Engr. John Ogbeche, MNSE, COREN, is one of those special stories.Today, as he celebrates his birthday, I am not only celebrating an accomplished Marine Engineer, Chief Engineer, entrepreneur and maritime professional. I am celebrating a man whose friendship has become family and whose impact on my personal life is something I can never adequately measure.
John and I started our journey as classmates at the Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron. At the time, we were simply young men pursuing our dreams in the maritime profession, learning, growing and preparing ourselves for the demanding life that awaited us at sea.
Years passed. Careers developed. Ships came and went. Life took us in different directions.
But our bond endured.
Today, that relationship has grown far beyond being former classmates or maritime colleagues.
We are now family.
And for that, John gave me a gift that, to me, is worth the world.
Through him, I met the woman who would eventually become my wife his sister from same town. From being classmates at the Maritime Academy, our relationship grew into brotherhood, and eventually we became in-laws, connected not only by friendship and our maritime journey but also by marriage and family.
Whenever I reflect on how life brings people together, I realise that some friendships are not accidental. Some people enter our lives carrying blessings whose full significance we only understand many years later.
John is one of those people in my life.
Twenty Years at Sea
Professionally, Engr. John Ogbeche has built a maritime career worthy of celebration.
He commenced his seafaring career in 2006, and today, in 2026, he marks approximately 20 years of professional service at sea.
During those two decades, he has served aboard more than 30 ships, building extensive experience across marine and offshore operations.
From the early stages of an engineering career to attaining the senior responsibility of Chief Engineer, his journey represents the discipline, resilience and technical competence required to succeed in one of the world's most demanding professions.
A Class One licensed Marine Engineer, John has also gained experience on sophisticated offshore vessels, including DP2 operations.
Anyone who understands life at sea knows that twenty years cannot simply be reduced to a number.
It represents months and years away from home.
It represents countless engine-room watches, machinery breakdowns, inspections, maintenance schedules, sleepless nights and moments where important decisions have to be made under immense pressure.
It represents responsibility for machinery worth millions of dollars and, more importantly, responsibility for the safe operation of vessels and the lives of the people working aboard them.
To have remained in this profession for two decades, served on more than thirty vessels and risen to the position of Chief Engineer is an achievement deserving genuine respect.
Beyond the Engine Room
John's ambition has never been limited to sailing.
He has continued to develop himself professionally as an engineer, maritime consultant and entrepreneur.
In 2014, we took another significant step in our shared maritime journey when Engr. John Ogbeche, Idara Jacob and I co-founded Pearl Offshore Services Nigeria Limited.
It represented another chapter in a friendship that had begun years earlier in the classrooms of the Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron.
From classmates, to professional colleagues, to business partners, and eventually to family very few relationships travel such an extraordinary journey.
His professional affiliations, including MNSE and COREN, reflect his commitment to engineering professionalism, while his experience at sea demonstrates the practical competence behind those credentials.
But qualifications and professional achievements tell only part of John's story.
A Blessed Man
John is also a family man.
He is happily married and blessed with two lovely children, and watching the different areas of his life develop over the years has been a privilege.
When I look at what he has accomplished within approximately twenty years of his maritime career, I see a man who has truly been blessed.
More than thirty ships.
A Class One Marine Engineering licence.
The rank and responsibility of Chief Engineer.
International maritime exposure.
Entrepreneurship.
Professional recognition.
A beautiful family.
And relationships that have survived the test of time.
These are not small accomplishments.
But beyond all these things, what matters most to me personally is the kind of relationship we have maintained.
There are people you call friends because you once went to school together.
There are people you call colleagues because you once worked in the same profession.
And then there are people who move beyond all those definitions and become brothers.
John belongs to the latter.
Our bond has long surpassed being classmates at the Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron.
It has surpassed maritime careers.
It has surpassed business.
Today, we are family.
And every time I look at my wife and the family God has given me, I am reminded that somewhere in the story stands my friend and brother, John.
That is why I can confidently say:
John gave me a gift that is worth the world.
He introduced me to the woman who became my wife.
No professional achievement, business transaction or material possession can be compared with that.
Happy Birthday, My Brother
So today, 10 August 2026, I celebrate you, Engr. John Ogbeche.
I celebrate the young maritime student I knew in Oron.
I celebrate the Marine Engineer who went to sea in 2006 and, twenty years later, has served aboard more than thirty ships.
I celebrate the Chief Engineer.
I celebrate the entrepreneur.
I celebrate my co-founder at Pearl Offshore Services Nigeria Limited.
I celebrate the husband and father.
But most importantly, I celebrate my friend, my brother and now my in-law.
Twenty years at sea is already a remarkable story, but I believe there are still many more chapters ahead.
May the years ahead bring greater accomplishments, good health, wisdom, peace and fulfilment.
May the same God who has carried you through countless voyages continue to guide you through every voyage of life.
May your family continue to flourish.
May the work of your hands continue to prosper.
And may the brotherhood that began many years ago at the Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron, continue for generations through the families that now connect us.
Happy Birthday, Engr. John Ogbeche, MNSE, COREN.
Chief Engineer.
Entrepreneur.
Family man.
Friend.
Brother.
And one of the people whose presence in my life changed my story forever.
Happy Birthday, John. May the seas ahead always be favourable.
Engr. Charles David Tanko
Hmmmmmm!
ReplyDeleteYou just nailed it all Engr. Tanko, this man called Engr. Ogbeche is my hoodman from cradle, we do set trap together far back then in the village. Whatever he is today, I am NOT amazed at all because whatever he decides to do, he will do it to the final conclusion.
This your piece, is NOT just an ordinary one but but a book on it own, try to publish it and let the hard copy of this very birthday message and his life time biography reflect on this.
Congratulations and happy birthday to you once again Engr. Wadondo as we normally called him.
Cheers.
Very impressive read. Thank you uncle Tanko for honoring Engr John on his day 💯🙏🙏.
ReplyDelete